Notes: Full-time status may be defined differently for federal loan purposes. The criteria below apply to students enrolled in colleges other than the College of Professional Studies. Please consult the College of Professional Studies section of this catalog for criteria that apply to students in CPS.
A graduate student is considered a full-time student if enrolled in a minimum of 8 semester/quarter hours of credit for the semester with the following considerations:
- Students who hold stipended graduate assistantships will be considered full-time if enrolled for a minimum of 6 semester hours of credit.
- Students for whom English is a second language, at the discretion of their departments, will be considered full-time if they are enrolled in a minimum of 8 semester hours or three courses, whichever is less.
- Students holding Dean’s scholarships, Diversity fellowships, Double Husky awards, or being supported by Graduate Student Scholarships will be considered full-time if they are enrolled in a minimum of 8 semester hours.
- Students enrolled in Dissertation or Continuation are considered full-time.
- International students enrolled in graduate programs at Northeastern University must consult with the Office of Global Services on all matters regarding the maintenance of full-time status.