Northeastern offers the following PhD programs. The Experiential PhD page has additional information on doctoral programs that connect Northeastern to industry, government, and nonprofit partners.
- Chemical Engineering, PhD
- Chemistry, PhD
- Civil and Environmental Engineering, PhD
- Computer Engineering, PhD
- Computer Science, PhD
- Counseling Psychology, PhD
- Criminology and Justice Policy, PhD
- Cybersecurity, PhD
- Industrial Engineering, PhD
- Interdisciplinary Design and Media, PhD
- Interdisciplinary Engineering, PhD
- Marine and Environmental Sciences, PhD
- Mathematics, PhD
- Mechanical Engineering, PhD
- Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery, PhD
- Personal Health Informatics, PhD
- Pharmaceutics and Drug Delivery, PhD
- Pharmacology, PhD
- Physics, PhD
- Political Science, PhD
- Population Health, PhD
- Psychology, PhD
- Public Policy, PhD
The Northeastern PhD Network is designed to build distinctive Experiential PhD opportunities and community among PhD students, providing students with support and resources university-wide to enhance their educational experience and career exploration.
At Northeastern, every PhD student has opportunities to acquire experience beyond traditional dissertation research. Exposure to and integration with our many industry and academic partners—through internships, fieldwork, and other collaborations—and in authentic settings—from laboratories, startup companies, and nonprofit institutions—lead to research with greater impact and broader career opportunities, both within and beyond academia. The PhD Network works with internal and external partners to grow and facilitate opportunities for PhD students.
Shared values unite PhD-centered activities at Northeastern:
- Excellence with purpose: All PhD programs combine academic rigor with societal impact, preparing critical thinkers to tackle the world's most challenging problems.
- Innovative thinking: Our education programs, mentoring activities, and research scholarship develop novel content and pathfinding approaches.
- Crossing boundaries: PhD students transcend disciplinary and international boundaries during their innovative educational journey.
- Integrative education: The integration of scholarship and research training with collaborative fieldwork and professional development provides a uniquely experiential education.
- Inclusive diversity: Students and faculty from diverse cultures and backgrounds drive excellence by bringing a wide range of perspectives to our distinctive programs.
Explore the PhD Network website to learn more about:
- Resources that support PhD students’ educational, professional, and personal lives
- Events created especially for PhD students, both at Northeastern and through our partners
- Funding in support of fellowships, internships, and conference attendance