Financial Aid Policies

Student Financial Services reserves the right to adjust a student’s initial offer of assistance based upon information brought to the office’s attention subsequent to extension of the offer, including the receipt of outside scholarships or revised family financial data.

Return of Title IV Funds

Northeastern University is required by federal statute to recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for students who withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence prior to completing 60% of a term. Recalculation is based on the percentage of earned aid using the Federal Return of Title IV funds formula. Federal regulations require students to obtain at least an A, B, C, D, or S in at least one course for the term; students who receive all unsuccessful grades for a term (F, NE, W, I, U) may be considered unofficially withdrawn from the term and subject to an aid recalculation, including the possible loss of financial aid for that term.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

To continue receiving financial aid, undergraduate students must have a 2.000 grade-point average and have earned academic credit in 67% of the courses attempted. SAP will be evaluated once per academic year. Refer to the Student Financial Services website for more information about how satisfactory progress affects financial aid.

Change in Enrollment Status

Students must notify the Office of Student Financial Services about any changes to their enrollment, whether due to withdrawal from a class, a leave of absence, a change in coursework, or withdrawal from the university. Students should be aware that any change in enrollment status may result in the loss of all or part of their federal and/or institutional aid eligibility. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of Student Financial Services about any change in enrollment status and understand the ramifications of such changes.

It is highly recommended that whenever possible, students discuss the impact of such changes with the Office of Student Financial Services before making them.

Unusual Enrollment

Some FAFSA applications will be flagged for “unusual enrollment history” by the U.S Department of Education as a result of the student having received Federal Pell Grants or Federal Direct Loans at multiple institutions in recent years. These files will need to be reviewed by the Office of Student Financial Services; if necessary, additional documentation may be required. We will not be able to award students with federal financial aid assistance until the unusual enrollment history has been resolved.

Ability to Benefit

In general, students who have received a high school diploma, GED, associate degree, or higher may be eligible for federal financial aid assistance. As a part of the application process, students will have to document receipt of one of these credentials in order to be admitted into the College of Professional Studies. If appropriate documentation was not provided during the admission process, our office will request proof of high school diploma, GED, or college degree. Aid cannot be disbursed until this process is completed.

Appeal/Change in Circumstances

If the student feels that the aid process does not accurately reflect their situation, or if family circumstances change during the year, the student should notify the Office of Student Financial Services for further evaluation. Additional documentation might be requested to substantiate a change in financial circumstances.

Outside Sources of Aid

Students must notify the Office of Student Financial Services of any aid received from outside sources, such as scholarships. Receipt of outside sources of financial aid may require that financial aid offered by Northeastern be adjusted.

Military Tuition Rate

Undergraduate students who are enrolled in a bachelor’s completion program through the College of Professional Studies and are actively serving in the U.S. military, or the current spouse of an active servicemember, will be eligible for a special Military Tuition Rate of $250 per semester hour. Students receiving the Military Tuition Rate are required to recertify their status as actively serving in the U.S. military (or their spousal eligibility) on a yearly basis.  Students who fail to complete the yearly recertification process by the end of the add/drop period of the fall semester will be assessed the standard CPS undergraduate per-semester-hour tuition rate. The full policy and eligibility requirements can be found at the university’s support site for U.S. military-affiliated students.

Reapplication Process

Students must reapply for financial aid each year by filing the FAFSA.


If a student is selected for verification, the Office of Student Financial Services may be required to collect tax transcripts and other financial documents to verify the information provided on the FAFSA. We will not be able to award students with federal financial aid assistance until this process has been completed.