Reenrollment Policy for Full-time Students

Students who enroll and complete at least one graduate engineering course can apply to their academic department to take an official leave of absence from the time they complete said course(s) and be automatically readmitted without department review. Automatic readmission applies only to the original program and concentration (if applicable), and only for students who took an official approved leave of absence. Catalog year of entry does not change and students must complete the curriculum requirements outlined in the University Graduate Catalog for their original academic year of admission.

If a student without official leave of absence approval does not enroll in classes for two consecutive fall/spring semesters, they will be declared inactive. To return from inactive status, a student must submit an updated application to refresh their student record, and this application will be approved provided the student was in good standing at the time their absence started.

If a student without official leave of absence approval does not enroll in classes for three consecutive fall/spring semesters, or does not indicate their intent in writing to the Graduate School of Engineering by the end of the third consecutive semester, they will be withdrawn from the program. In the case of withdrawal, a student will be required to submit a new admission application for graduate studies without guarantee of readmission. If the student is admitted after being withdrawn, they will be admitted into the current catalog year and must meet the curriculum requirements in the current University Graduate Catalog.

In cases where the student has seven or more years of nonenrollment, the student’s previous course work completed at the university will first undergo departmental review for technical content and relevance to current degree, followed by institutional review mapping courses completed to the current degree program requirements. The institutional review will determine how many credits, if any, completed more than seven years prior will be applied to the current degree.