Grading System

Grades are officially recorded by letters, evaluated as follows:

Letter Grade Numerical Equivalent Explanation
A 4.000 Outstanding achievement
A– 3.667
B+ 3.333
B 3.000 Good achievement
B– 2.667
C+ 2.333
C 2.000 Satisfactory achievement
C– 1.667
D+ 1.333
D 1.000 Poor achievement
D– 0.667
F 0.000 Failure
I Incomplete
IP In progress
NE Not enrolled
NG Grade not reported by faculty
S Satisfactory (pass/fail basis; counts toward total degree requirements)
U Unsatisfactory (pass/fail basis)
X Incomplete (pass/fail basis)
L Audit (no credit given)
T Transfer
W Course withdrawal

An I, IP, or X grade shows that the student has not completed the course requirements.

The compilation/translation of a numerical score for a course to a letter grade for transcript reporting is at the discretion of the instructor as indicated in the syllabus for that course.

The IP grade is intended for courses that extend over several terms. The time restrictions on the incomplete grade do not apply to the IP grade. While the IP grade is left unchanged, it is not included in computing the grade-point average (GPA). If the IP grade is never changed, the course does not count toward graduation requirements.

S/U (Pass/Fail) System

An undergraduate student may elect to take courses on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory (commonly known as pass/fail) grading scale. The following rules apply:

  • Undergraduate degree students may register for one open elective course per semester on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) basis and may not take more than a total of four S/U courses at the College of Professional Studies.
  • To be eligible for S/U status, the student must be in good academic standing and also must meet all prerequisites for the course.
  • To be graded on an S/U basis, the student must file an S/U petition prior to the fourth class meeting for full-semester courses.
    • For half-semester courses, petitions must be received by the second class meeting
  • The grades recorded on the basis of the S/U system will not figure in the computation of the GPA.
  • Grade equivalents in an S/U system are:
    • S = C– or better
    • U = less than a C–
  • An “incomplete” in a course taken on an S/U basis is designated by the letter X on the permanent record and must be treated according to the normal procedure for incomplete grades.

Clearing an Incomplete or Changing Other Grades

An incomplete grade may be reported by the instructor when a student has failed to complete a major component of a required course, such as homework, a quiz or final examination, a term paper, or a laboratory project. Students can make up an incomplete grade by satisfying the requirements of the instructor or, if the instructor is absent, the academic program director designee. Be aware that instructors’ policies on the granting of incomplete grades may vary and that the final decision on an incomplete grade is up to the instructor. The period for clearing an incomplete grade and for changing a grade other than an incomplete or failure (F or U) is restricted to one calendar year from the date it is first recorded on the student’s permanent record.

To clear an incomplete grade, a student must obtain an Incomplete-Grade Contract on which the precise agreement for clearing an incomplete grade is specified and signed by the student and the instructor. The student must make an appointment with the instructor to arrange for clearing the incomplete grade. He or she must then complete the form, sign the agreement, and obtain the instructor’s signature; leave a copy with the instructor, who will seek approval from the academic dean’s office before sending to the Office of Academic Advising; and retain a copy as a personal receipt. Any exception to this policy on change of grades must be recommended by the college’s academic standing committee (ASC) and must be forwarded in writing by the ASC to the registrar for implementation. (The agreed-upon course work must be completed within one calendar year from the end of the term in which the course was offered.)

Any grade outstanding for 12 or more months cannot be changed. Any exception to this policy on change of grades must be recommended by the ASC of the college in which the course was offered and must be forwarded in writing by the dean to the registrar for implementation.

Calculating GPA

To calculate your GPA:

  1. Convert the letter grades to numerical values using the table above. Note: I, IP, L, NE, W, S, U, and X grades are not included in computing the GPA.
  2. Multiply the value of the letter grades by the number of hours taken in each course. For example, if a student earns a C in a 4-credit-hour course, the grade points would be 8.000 (2 grade points times 4 credit hours taken equals 8.000 grade points).
  3. Add all the quality points.
  4. Add all the hours attempted (except classes with I, IP, W, S, and U).
  5. Divide total grade points by total hours attempted. The quotient, truncated to three decimal places, is the GPA.